Current:Home > InvestFeds say Army soldier used AI to create child sex abuse images -Capitatum
Feds say Army soldier used AI to create child sex abuse images
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 00:36:08
A U.S. Army soldier stationed in Alaska used artificial intelligence to generate child sexual abuse material in a criminal case that underscores the lengths that online predators will go to exploit children, federal prosecutors said this week.
Seth Herrera, 34, used AI chatbots to create pornography of minors whom he knew, the Justice Department said. He also viewed tens of thousands of images depicting violent sexual abuse of children, including infants, according to court records.
“Criminals considering the use of AI to perpetuate their crimes should stop and think twice − because the Department of Justice is prosecuting AI-enabled criminal conduct to the fullest extent of the law and will seek increased sentences wherever warranted,” said Deputy U.S. Attorney General Lisa Monaco.
The FBI issued a public service announcement earlier this year about child sexual abuse material, noting all such images and videos, including those created through AI, are illegal.
The arrest comes as federal officials warn about a rise in sex abuse content through AI, which allows offenders to create images and videos on an exponentially larger scale, according to the Department of Homeland Security. The technology poses new challenges to law enforcement targeting the content, but it may also serve as a tool to quickly and accurately identify offenders and victims, the DHS said.
Court papers detail child pornography chat groups
According to a memo in support of pre-trial detention filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska, Herrera joined online messaging groups devoted to trafficking the abusive content. The soldier, stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, saved “surreptitious recordings” of minors undressing in his home and then used AI chatbots to generate exploitative content of them, according to federal court documents.
He also used images and videos of children posted to social media to create sexually abusive material, according to the memo.
Homeland Security Investigations agents executed a search warrant of Herrera’s home, where he lives with his wife and daughter, according to court records. Three Samsung Galaxy phones contained tens of thousands of videos and images that depicted rape and other sexual abuse of children as young as infants, the memo said, dating back to at least March 2021. Herrera stored the material in a password-protected app disguised as a calculator on his phone, prosecutors said.
Herrera also sought out sexually abusive content that depicted children roughly the age of his daughter, according to the memo, and six kids lived under the same roof as he did in the military base fourplex.
Court records say he admitted in an interview to viewing child sexual abuse content online for the past year and a half.
“Absolutely no child should suffer these travesties, and no person should feel immune from detection and prosecution for these crimes by HSI and its partners in law enforcement," said Katrina W. Berger, executive associate director of Homeland Security Investigations.
Herrera was arrested Friday and is charged with transportation, receipt and possession of child pornography. He faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. His initial court appearance was expected Tuesday.
A public defender listed in court records for Herrera did not immediately return USA TODAY’s request for comment Monday.
Combating sexual predators in age of AI
The arrest is the latest to sweep the nation as federal law enforcement agents grapple with the use of new technology by sexual predators.
“Federal law prohibits the production, advertisement, transportation, distribution, receipt, sale, access with intent to view, and possession of any CSAM (child sexual abuse material), including realistic computer-generated images,” according to an FBI public service announcement.
Officials say they have also been able to use the new technology to catch offenders. In 2023, Homeland Security Investigations used machine learning models to identify 311 cases of online sexual exploitation. The three-week-long mission, dubbed Operation Renewed Hope, led to the identification or rescue of more than 100 victims and the arrests of several suspected offenders, the HSI said.
Suspected production of child sexual abuse content, including AI-generated material, can be reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children by calling 800-THE LOST or online at www.cybertipline.org. It can also be reported to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.
veryGood! (33)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Inside Keanu Reeves' Private World: Love, Motorcycles and Epic Movie Stardom After Tragedy
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
- The Exorcist: Believer to be released earlier to avoid competing with Taylor Swift concert movie
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Texas AG Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial is in the hands of Republicans who have been by his side
- NASCAR Darlington playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Southern 500
- Ecuador says 57 guards and police officers are released after being held hostage in several prisons
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Why Wishbone Kitchen TikToker Meredith Hayden Is Stepping Away From Being a Private Chef
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Unprecedented Webb telescope image reveals new feature in famous supernova
- Rumer Willis Breastfeeds Daughter Louetta at the Beach After Being Mom-Shamed
- College football Week 1 highlights: Catch up on all the scores, best plays and biggest wins
- Sam Taylor
- Daylight savings ends in November. Why is it still around?
- Record travel expected Labor Day weekend despite Idalia impact
- Shooting in Massachusetts city leaves 1 dead, 6 others injured
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Nick Saban takes Aflac commercials, relationship with Deion Sanders seriously
Russian students are returning to school, where they face new lessons to boost their patriotism
Man who escaped Oregon mental hospital while shackled found stuck in muddy pond
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Travis Kelce pleads to Chris Jones as Chiefs await contract holdout: 'We need you bad'
Convicted murderer who escaped from prison spotted on surveillance camera: DA
Former Italian premier claims French missile downed passenger jet in 1980, presses Paris for truth